Last night Shannon and I decided we might work on some joint art/passion projects of ours over the weekend. It’s been making me so excited I can’t sleep and I’ve been feeling all my creative juices coursing in the best (also most agitating) way. I kept thinking of names for things during work and late this afternoon I wrote a GroupMe chatbot out of sheer createyness, and this evening I sifted through my old web properties and servers performing much-needed maintenance. (So much to be done: apparently my Tarsnap account ran out of credits about a year ago so my primary server hasn’t actually been backed up for a year and I wouldn’t know because the notification email was buried meaning I should probably reorganize my email. This is all the wrong kind of reckless.)
I’ve been in the kind of mood that makes me reorganize. Currently thinking of converting this domain into a portfolio linking to things I make & write. One long-term goal is to separate my actual “writing” (if it can be called that) from daily drivel — while I’d like to re-establish my brain-dumping habit I’d also like to maintain a space for writing thoughtfully and I don’t think putting both things in one place is what I want.
To clarify: none of the content here will go away, it’ll just be held someplace else.
Speaking of making things it’s late but I’ll do a quick outline regarding YC Hacks — tl;dr it was a sub-par hackathon. Food was mediocre (not vegetarian friendly, not enough in quantity, generally awful) and judging was below-average (I attribute a lot of this to the “science fair” style they implemented). Science fair is not good for hackathons: after little/no sleep participants were expected to stand and repeat their pitches for almost two hours.
That said the event was fun in the way all hackathons are fun. For me it was an excuse to build something I’ve wanted for a long time — Karan and I created ShallowParse, a text editor for creative writing that profiles aspects of your prose as you write. There wasn’t anything complicated about what we built, it was just a fun idea. We integrated Noah Webster’s 1913 dictionary and prose-dating via the google ngram dataset though we had to take out the prose-dating after demos because it was causing our server to lag (not to mention eating up a ton of ram thanks to heavy in-mem caching). We’ll add things to this in the future but for now it’s a nice little toy.
It’s swell on all fronts. Nathan finally made it home tonight after spending most of this week away at work and it was nice to pause to catch up with him. Things in our lives are hurdling along and I’m trying my best to imbibe both the juicy newnesses and familiar steepings.